Poetry Lessons, Free Printables & Student Model Poems
I’m thrilled to share the poetry lessons my 7th graders just completed. They rocked poetry. As a teacher, I loooove when teachers share ideas with downloadable worksheets, so that’s what you’ll get below! Most of all, I’m excited to publish my students’ model poems. Enjoy the Learning Experience & Leading Examples.
Poetry is Music & Music is Poetry.
Learning Experience: Hero Poem
Lesson Plan Step-by-Step
Model Texts taken from HEROES and SHE-ROES
- Students brainstorm questions & answers about heroes and she-roes:
- What do you think of when you hear the word hero?
- What qualities make a hero?
- Who is a hero to you, either someone you know personally or someone famous?
- How can you be a hero?
- Students read the collection of poetry in model text aloud in groups or with the class.
- Discuss the figurative language/literary devices discovered in the poems:
- Write your own Hero Poem!
- Select a hero, she-roe, or write about heroes in general
- Rough draft, peer edit, revise, final draft, add image or draw an illustration
- (Enter the final drafts of poems in our school’s PTA Reflections Contest)
Leading Examples: Model Poems by My Students
Click on the Poem to Enlarge! Enjoy these young poets’ work . . .
Reading our model text together:
Don’t miss the upcoming posts: Animal Poems, Emotion Poems, Haiku & Limericks!